How We Construct Your Drive or Patio
• Ground would be excavated to an approximate depth of at least 200mm below finished level allowing for DPC where needed.
• Excavate any soft spots in sub-grade as required and dispose.
• Lay block pavers as edge restraint, to lines and curves and ensure they are adequately cemented in to prevent any movement.
• Supply and lay minimum of 100mm of DTp1 crushed stone sub-base material to falls and levels and vibro compact to create substantial base.
• Supply and lay on 50 – 100mm top base of sharp sand and vibro compact to create laying surface to take blocks
• Supply and lay on 35-50mm sharp sand bed
• Lay top blocks as required . Cutting blocks where needed.
• Sweep off driveway and sweep in kiln dried jointing sand to lock in blocks
• Clear site of all debris and rubble on completion and make good.
This specification is suitable for most residential projects such as patios and driveways.
How We Construct Your Decking
• After working out the size and orientation of the deck we clear and prepare the site.
• Nothing spoils a new deck more than weeds growing through cracks in its boards, so before we start we clear all the vegetation and turf from the area.
• We then lay down a weed suppressing matting.
• We then work out where the main support posts will go. A deck should be supported by posts on all corners and more posts are used if the deck is larger or supports heavier loads.
• Any steps or change in levels will be sorted out at this point and consultation with our clients is of the up most importance to ensure the job is exactly what they have asked for.
• We then ensure that the base timbers are securely cemented in place before finishing off with your choice of top boards and spindles if you choose to have rails around your deck.
• Our craftsmen screw the decking boards to the joists, leaving a gap of 6mm to 10mm between each board. This will allow the boards room to expand during wet periods. It will also ensure sufficient drainage and ventilation.
• If using hardwood, they will drill the holes in advance.
• Decking boards are usually laid at 90 or 45 degrees to the joists.